OLD SOLDIER FIELD
Date: June 25, 1964
About this image: Soldier Field was designed by Chicago Board of Trade architects Holabird and Root as one of the few stadiums built in a pure Greek style since classical antiquity. Completed in 1924, with 100-foot soaring Doric colonnades that complement the architecture of the Field Museum just north, the stadium was planned for rallies, meetings, exhibitions and sporting events. Although originally named “Municipal Grant Park Stadium” the facility was renamed “Soldier Field” the following year to honor American soldiers who had lost their lives in war. In addition to being home to the Chicago Bears since 1971, Soldier Field has attracted thousands of fans and spectators throughout its history to a variety of events including boxing, ski jumping, stock car racing, circuses, marching bands and rock concerts. Because of its architectural and historical significance, the federal government granted Soldier Field the status of being a National Landmark. In a move to expand the stadium’s facilities the Chicago Bears Organization began construction in 2002 of a new stadium that would sit within the original structure. Although the new Soldier Field has maintained its homage to the men and women of the armed forces, and a 17-acre park now surrounds the stadium to serve the general public, it was seen fit to take away the National Landmark status as the new structure compromises the original design and architectural beauty of its former self.