CUBS VS. GIANTS
Date: July 21, 1935
About this image: Wrigley Field was built in 1914 on the corner of Clark and Addison Streets on grounds once occupied by a seminary. It is one of the oldest ballparks in the major leagues. The park was originally the property of Charles Weegham, a wealthy restaurant-chain owner, and thus known as Weegham Park. The park was home to Chicago’s club in the Federal League, then known both as the Federals and the Whales. Weegham purchased the Cubs of the National League from the Taft family of Cincinnati and moved the club to the two-year-old ballpark. The park became to be known as Cubs Park in 1916 when the Wrigley family purchased the team from Weegham. It was officially renamed Wrigley Field in 1926 in honor of the club’s owner, William Wrigley, Jr., and has been home to the Chicago Cubs ever since.